07 Apr The difference between Anonymous and Personal Web Tracking
For some, this article may come as no surprise, but for many others, understanding the difference between anonymous and personal web tracking is a topic that’s yet to have been broached.
WHAT IS PERSONAL WEBSITE TRACKING?
Personal website tracking is the ability to see who is visiting your website and what they’re doing on the individual level; meaning you see what Jane Smith is doing, not some anonymous visitor.
With Leadsius, for example, all of the businesses using our software to handle their marketing activities are able to see:
- what pages their leads are visiting
- how often their leads are visiting certain pages
- what call-to-actions their leads are engaging with
- what landing pages their leads are visiting
HOW DO I TRACK ON THE INDIVIDUAL LEVEL?
Here at Leadsius we use “cookies” to help businesses learn more about their leads’ behavior; here’s how it works:
Some anonymous person stumbles upon your company website or blog via a Google search and they spend some time browsing around. After a few minutes they realize they’re interested and before leaving they quickly drop their first name and email address into your web form on your homepage that allows visitors to subscribe for news & updates. The second they fill in this form, thus relinquishing their credentials to you, Leadsius is working in the background to:
- Create a new contact card specifically for this person that will update over time and contain all of the details you’re able to get on them
- Drop a cookie on this person’s web browser so that anytime they come back to your website or interact with your emails, forms and landing pages – you’ll know about it
HOW DOES THIS DIFFER FROM GOOGLE ANALYTICS?
Google analytics allows you to do some great things, but tracking on the individual level is not one of them. This is where an inbound marketing tool like Leadsius comes in and allows you to view all of the digital footprints left behind by your leads.
It may sound a bit off-putting at first, but the truth is that with this information your business can now begin using relevance and context to it’s advantage when it comes to the interactions you’re having with your leads.
What’s more, understanding how your leads arrive at their purchase is going to be a major advantage for your business. The more data you’re able to capture and receive an easy-to-understand view of, the more you can have one-to-one conversations.
A VISUAL UNDERSTANDING
To help drive the point home, here’s a little step-by-step of how it works:
Every day, people come to your website the same way that people walk into a physical store to browse goods or services.
Without the ability to track personal website visits and overall marketing interactions, you’re seeing analytics on traffic,
but not on the individual interaction level.
Solution: Adopt a marketing platform that includes a tracking script for you to place on your website, which allows you to begin tracking on the individual level.
Now you have the ability to analyze, from an easy-to-understand marketing dashboard, exactly who is visiting or interacting with what across
your website, landing pages, emails and more.
From here on out, the moment someone makes their credentials known to your business (via newsletter sign-up, downloading an offer, etc),
you’re going to be able to grab hold of the data you need to start speaking with your leads on a more personal level, delivering relevant content at the right times and including the right people in the conversation at the right times.
How can I take action on this data?
This will differ depending on what marketing platform you’re utilizing, but for the sake of giving you some examples lets take a closer look at how Leadsius allows users to take action based upon this data.
Within Leadsius there are a multitude of activities that you can select or filter upon; here are 6 distinct activities you can filter upon that have to do with the data collected from your web tracking:
- Viewed Landing Page
- Clicked Landing page
- Number of Page Views
- Number of Landing Page Clicks
- Number of Website Visits
- Viewed Specific Website Page
Based upon these activity filters, you can accomplish 1 of the following:
- Meaning you can segment your database and begin analyzing the data based upon these filters listed above in order to get a better idea of what’s working, what’s not, etc
- Email Programs
- Create an email program or campaign that you’ll launch to a specific subset of your contacts based upon, for example, all contacts who’ve visited your pricing page.
- Set workflows that trigger a sequence of events once certain criteria are met. Example: After 10 website visits, trigger a specific email offer to go out to this lead.
To learn more about how you can easily begin tracking leads on the individual level or for more on what to do once you know who these leads are, grab yourself a free 15-30 minute demonstration of the Leadsius marketing platform. If you’re already using Leadsius, make sure to check out the support article regarding anonymous web reports as well.